Cheddar Crisps Recipe backstory:
This recipe originated from an estate sale cookbook. The cookbook cover was missing, the pages were stained and waterlogged, but the recipes were legible. The cookbook itself had seen better days. The original binding was gone and the pages were now held together with yarn. Within its pages, a recipe title “Cheddar Crisps” caught my eye. Judging from the terminology and names of other recipes, the cookbook dates from the late 1950’s to the early 1960’s. A well-worn cookbook is like a treasure to me. It represents a set of recipes that spoke to e family. The recipes represent love and fond memories shared and beloved by a cook.
The Cheddar Crisps Recipe:
The recipe itself is simplicity. With only four ingredients and common kitchen equipment, these are super-simple to throw together. The cheddar crisps remind me of a cracker. You know, those light, flavorful bites that serve as the base of an appetizer. A companion dip recipe for these crackers will be added toward the end of this post. On a side note, if you choose to use these crackers for dipping, make sure you don’t flatten them too much before you put them in the oven. You want them thick enough so they hold up when they are dipped. If you are using they as a base for an appetizer, you can make them thinner but not so thin they crumble.
- Medium mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Baking Sheet(s) rimmed
- Silicon baking mat or parchment paper
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring spoons
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese Grated – pre-packaged shredded cheese works fine
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper you can substitute cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound butter 2 sticks – softened
- 2 cups flour all-purpose
- 2 cups Rice krispies Or any puffed rice cereal
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with either a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Soften cheese and butter and mix well.
- Add flour, pepper and Rice cereal to cheese-butter mixture.
- Roll dough into small balls.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and flatten each ball with the tines of a fork.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375°F oven for 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
Cheese cracker crumbs:
The following pairs well as a dip for these Cheddar Crisps (Dill-Yogurt Dip):
- 2 Tablespoons Minced onion
- 1/4 Cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dill
- Combine all ingredients, cover, and refrigerate